This opportunity is due to the efforts of the Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club and their 66th Annual Pilgrimage Tour of Homes. The four homes that will be on tour are Dunlora, Moseley Manor, White Oak Manor the Beard House.
Dunlora was built in 1867 by William S. Duke, a Jefferson merchant. Dunlora, a Greek revival cottage, is located at 106 South Friou Street.
Native cypress was used to build Mosley Manor in 1851. Another Greek revival home, it was built by pharmacist J.C. Preston and later purchased by Judge Seaborn Moseley in 1863. Moseley Manor is located at 412 North Soda Street.
White Oak Manor is presently a very popular Bed and Breakfast Inn. It was originally built in 1911 as the home for Marion County’s first extension agent, Richard Craver. White Oak Manor is a classic example of Victorian Eclectic architecture and is located at 502 Benners Street.
The Beard House, located at 212 Vale Street, was built in 1860 by Noble Birge. Noble Birge was a prominent merchant in Jefferson and the owner of Birge Hardware during Jefferson’s Riverport heyday.
The rare opportunity to tour these historic homes takes place on May 3rd and 4th from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Tickets and more information are available by contacting the Excelsior House Hotel at 903-665-2513 0r 1-800-490-7270.