“I do it for my grandkids and their friends,” said Jackie Smith of 605 Scott Street. “And for the people who drive by,” as a car passed his spectacular Christmas lighting display on Scott Street between Montgomery and Bledsoe Streets.
Despite vandalism in previous years, Smith has continued to add new items to his display annually, before winning first this year.
Out in the Western Hills addition, Thomas and Pat Wright have again mounted their spectacular display, and several of their neighbors have nice displays as well.
New to the list of Yulefest Lighting Winners this year are Dwayne Studdard with the Best Religious Theme at 1901 Azalea St., and Richard Nolan on Blue Jay with Best Specialty Theme.
Upshur Rural Electric has simplified their display over previous years, and created a “tree” of lights using their flagpole as the central standard.
Among Gilmer businesses, the Yulefest Lighting committee ranked four different business for their window displays.
Winners of the Yulefest Christmas Lighting Contest this year include:
1. Etex Telephone
2. Upshur Rural Electric
1. Gilmer Drug/Lou’s Gift Shop
2. Stewart Insurance & Realty
3. Simply Beautiful
4. Hill Electric
1. Jackie and Vickie Smith, 605 Scott Street
Best Religious Theme
Dwayne Studdard, 1901 Azalea
Best Specialty Theme
Richard Nolan, 110 Blue Jay
Thomas and Pat Wright, 106 Cheyenne Trail
1. Louise Hill, corner of Madelaine and Kimway
2. Shane and Lucy Winn, 1308 N. Titus
3. Randy and Nancy Hill, 914 Stuart
4. Mack McClain, 312 Chickasaw Trail
5. Jarom and Regina Tefteller, 803 N. Montgomery
6. Cecil Brown, 105 Oasis
7. Brandon and Kim Garmon, 232 Mirage
8. Manfred and Sarah Gilow, 1000 S. Montgomery, 701 Madelaine
10. Ricky and Mari Jo Holloway, 917 Stuart
11. Jean Miller, 915 Stuart