AUSTIN — Eleven Vietnam veterans who are residents at the Watkins-Logan Texas State Veterans Home will be honored in a special ceremony at 10 a.m. Friday, March 20.
Steve Faught, commander of American Legion Post 474 will serve as master of ceremonies and the Cross Brand Cowboy Church will offer a prayer. The veterans to be honored are:
- William Arterberry, United States Air Force
- James Clarence Coleman, United States Army
- Larry Charles Cromer, Unites States Army
- Senovio Flores, Jr., United States Marine Corp
- Gene Robert Heppner, United States Navy
- Barbara Ann Leads, United States Navy
- Kenneth Wayne Lyons, United States Navy
- James Edgar Mullen, United States Army
- Dean Carrell Mullican, United States Navy
- Edwin James Reynolds, United States Air Force
- Roy Denby Shank, United States Navy
“Whether you were born here or not, you are a Texan and like David Crockett, a Tennessean who fell at the Alamo, you have served this nation and this great state with honor and distinction,” said Jerry Patterson, chairman of the Texas Veterans Land Board. “As Vietnam Veterans, you answered the call during an unpopular war while others were seeking deferments and even fleeing to Canada. You did what Texans have done in every conflict since 1836 and for that our nation and this state are eternally grateful.”
Texas State Veterans Homes around the state. The homes are located in:Texas State Veterans Homes offer a broad spectrum of health care services, comprehensive rehabilitation programs, special diets, recreational activities, social services, libraries, and certified, secured Alzheimer’s units, each with its own secured outdoor courtyard.
For additional information on Texas State Veterans Homes and special home, land and home improvement loans for Texas veterans, call 800-252-VETS (800-252-8387) or visit our website at www.texasveterans.com.
Who: Eleven Vietnam veterans
What: Ceremony honoring their service
When: 10 a.m. Friday, March 29
Where: 11466 Honor Lane, Tyler
Why: To honor and serve Texas veterans in the home.