Soccer defeats UTPB 3-0 with three second-half goals – LINK
COMMERCE– The Texas A&M University-Commerce soccer team played to a 3-0 win over UT Permian Basin on Sunday. The Lions scored goals in the 68th, 72nd and 78th minutes.
The win brings the Lions to 8-2-2 on the season and 4-2-0 in the Lone Star Conference. UTPB falls to 2-8-1 and 1-5-0 in conference play.
The Lions will head on the road for their next two matches. They will face Texas Woman's University on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the TWU Soccer Field in Denton.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sabrina Munguia scored the game-winning goal in the 68th minute, her fifth of the season. Delaney Bunselmeyer passed a free kick from near midfield and it landed perfectly for Munguia to take a shot.
- Jessika Coronado scored the second goal for the Lions, her second of the year. Bunselmeyer crossed the ball in from the right and Coronado shot the ball in.
- Bunselmeyer had two assists in match, giving her three assists for the year.
- Cora Welch scored the final goal for the Lions in the 78th minute, her first career goal. Coronado assisted with a long pass down the middle. Welch outran the defense and won the battle with the goalkeeper.
- The Lions outshot the Falcons 29-3, including an 18-2 advantage in the second half. UTPB had two shots on goal, both of which were saved by Caitlin Duty. She posted her sixth shutout of the season.
- Coronado had four shots on goal while Munguia had three. Leslie Campuzano and Sophie Haywood also had shots on goal. The Lions had a total of 10 shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Munguia had a shot on goal in the 12th minute that was saved. The Lions dominated the ball early in the match, taking the first six shots of the match. The Lions had an opportunity in the 24th minute as a ball was lobbed over the head of the UTPB defense. Munguia had a chance but a diving save was made to keep a goal off of the board.
After a UTPB shot went wide, the Lions had a shot on goal in the 38th minute that was saved. Two more Lion shots that went high and the score was tied at halftime. The Lions outshot UTPB 11-1 in the first half.
Coronado was active early for the Lions in the second half. She had shots on goal in the 50th minute and the 58th minute. Both shots were saved by the UTPB goalkeeper to keep the match scoreless. Haywood also had a shot on goal that was saved in the 59th minute.
After a shot from Campuzano was saved in the 67th minute, the Lions found the net in the 68th minute. After a foul left the Lions with a free kick near midfield, Bunselmeyer hammered the kick and it found space and the feet of Munguia. She took a shot and found the net to give the Lions the lead, 1-0.
The Lions scored again in the 72nd minute. Again it was Bunselmeyer with the ball, this time firing a cross pass that found the feet of Coronado. She promptly shot the ball into the net to increase the Lion lead.
After a save by Duty in the 72nd minute, the Lions scored again in the 78th minute. This time Coronado was on the assisting end. She fired a long pass that found Welch on a break away. She had only the goalkeeper to beat and got the ball past her and into the goal. It was her first career collegiate goal.
Duty made another save in the 82nd minute and the Lions left with the 3-nil win.
Lion Athletics Mission: Committed to a "Best in Class" student-athlete experience
Connect with us on our Lions’ Den Social Stream.